Sunday, October 19, 2008

Walk to Remember

Today, I had both the pleasure and opportunity to participate in the 4th Annual Atlanta Walk to Remember. Justin had to leave this morning for a business trip and couldn't go (this is the first time we've been apart since losing Dylan). I'd initially thought that I would tough it out and go alone. I'd reconsidered that thought earlier in the week though. Fortunately, one of my best girlfriends stepped in and shared the experience with me (thanks Crystal). It was an absolutely gorgeous day. The sky was clear blue, and there was a nice breeze blowing that kept us all from getting too hot.

The program included a few speakers, including parents sharing their own stories and original writings. I did not get too emotional until a young lady stepped up to the podium and started singing a song entitled "Precious Child". To be honest, I'm not even sure I could hear all the words. She just kept hitting these high notes that made everyone in the audience start spontaneously crying. Lucky for all of us, there were boxes of tissues on every other chair!

I do fine until I see or hear other people cry, that's when I get the most hysterical. Crying is so contageous to me. Anyway, after all the speakers and the cry-inducing singing, we took a quick walk around the grounds and all gathered back for the balloon release. They gave all the attendees a chance to write messages to our little angels on these cute, purple butterflies. I didn't want to get too emotional, so I quickly grabbed one of the butterflies and scribbled, "Hey Dill, Mommy and Daddy just wanted to tell you that we LOVE you and MISS you very, very much. Always our little angel, love you!"

I'll share a picture of the butterfly Crystal filled out for Dylan and some other pics from the day's events (thanks again to Crystal for taking over the camera so I could be in some of the shots).

To close out, I'd like to include the quote from the cover of today's program: "When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly." - Author Unknown

No comments: