Thursday, February 26, 2009

Under The Tree - February

Carly from Love Reign Over Me was kind enough to start Under the Tree, a discussion spot for babyloss mothers.

How long have you been blogging for? Why did you start? What do you want from writing?

I started blogging in October 2008. My first post was exactly 4 months, to the day, of Dylan's birth. I was at work one day, just perusing the internet and randomly stumbled upon a babylost momma's blog. I was immediately engaged by her story, even though it was quite different from my own. And a part of me felt compelled to put my story out there, and share Dylan's life with the world. I've always enjoyed writing, and for that reason, blogging seemed like a sort of natural (and free) therapy/outlet for me.

I want my writing to celebrate Dylan's life. Sharing my words and this experience for the world to see, surprisingly, does not make me feel as vulnerable as one would think. It's my story, it's not up for interpretation or argument. I don't have to feel wrong here. I want people to know our journey. I want people to feel with us, and see the beauty that Dylan's short life brought to us. And maybe one day, when I need it most, I want to see how much we've grown and how much we overcame by surviving this.

Where is safest place for you to share your feelings? Is there anywhere you feel completely accepted just being however you are really feeling?

The safest place for me to share my feelings is actually in conversations with my husband. His words and reactions and perspective on everything that we've been through certainly make me feel completely accepted. He lets me feel how I need to feel, when I need to feel it (without fear or remorse). I know, that outside of God, Justin's the only one who experienced Dylan's few days right by my side. We went through those days together and continue to experience together in our grief. And there isn't anyone else in the world that I'd rather share with.

Can you recommend any books that you have read that have given you a new insight, hope or courage in this new life you find yourself in?

A good friend of mine gave me Grieving the Child I Never Knew by Kathe Wunnenberg. That is really the only book I read pertaining specifically to the grief of childloss. I've also been working my way through A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis, not necessarily a book about infant loss but provides insights on Lewis' own journey with his wife's death.

How would you describe yourself before you lost your baby. How have you changed, who are you today?

Before Dylan, I was a happy-go-lucky person. My worries were typical for my age (friends, money, career, etc.) I never thought going into my first pregnancy that anything could/would go wrong. I am forever changed by Dylan's life and the experiences we had with him during his days. I've taken on the mentality of "don't sweat the small stuff". Justin and I always joke about how the things that we could be worrying about simply can't compare to losing a child. Therefore, surprisingly, we're pretty worry-free people these days.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

Even in quoting a simple bible verse, we've changed. We're much more faithful and religious people now. And we firmly believe that our faith was a gift from Dylan, by way of God of course.

How do you think you are coping? Do you see any light in this road or is it all dark right now? Where do you imagine yourself to be in a years time?

All in all, I think that we're coping pretty well. I still have my days, here and there, where I feel really sad and/or I need a good cry. Of course, I've seen the light in this journey. I acknowledge the gift of faith that gives Dylan's life so much meaning and purpose.

In a year's time, I hope to be telling Dylan's little brother or sister all about him. I hope that my memories of Dylan will always be strong but continue to grow in fondness and not bitterness. I hope that we can continue to celebrate Dylan's life and the impact that it had on ours.

1 comment:

Carly Marie said...

I think it is so beautiful that you feel safest to share your feelings with your husband. I love the way you write about him. What a blessed man he is to have you.


"I want my writing to celebrate Dylan's life."

I admire you for those words.


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

What a gift that is that you have just given to me. For months I have searched the bible to try and find these words.

Your precious little Dylan will forever be loved and remembered. I pray you can continue to celebrate his life and see the gifts he has given you unfold.

All my love to you,

xxx